Journaling Project No. I - Image & Intention: A Message without a Code

Journaling Prompt 

"Now even - and above all if- the image is in a certain manner the limit of meaning, it permits the consideration of a veritable ontology of the process of signification. How does meaning get into the image? Where does it end? And if it ends, what is there beyond!" (Image-Music-Text, Roland Barthes p. 32). 

Roland Barthes’ exploration of the image as both a vessel and a limit of meaning offers a compelling framework for understanding modern restaurant branding. In today's saturated market, branding is about crafting a carefully curated image and story that evokes specific emotional, cultural, and social meanings. Restaurants now function as semiotic systems, where logos, interior design and menu typography all work in concert to convey a narrative. The “image” of a restaurant and its respective, curated experience is thus more significant than the product, the restaurant itself.

Barthes’ question, “How does meaning get into the image?” can therefore be answered by stating that a brand image is not inherently meaningful but accumulates significance through cultural context, consumer interaction, and strategic repetition across different media and functions. Especially in our highly digitalized day and age, branding constantly evolves and thus boundlessly accumulates meaning through time and space as well. What lies “beyond” is perhaps a meta-awareness of branding itself, which consumers increasingly understand as a way in which constructed images curate narratives, ultimately leading to a demand for "authenticity". Yet, even "authenticity" itself may just be another highly stylized and curated experience for consumers to interact with. Thus, restaurant branding today is almost a recursive play of signs, where meaning is both produced and destabilized by the very images that mean to define it.

Progress Report 

Moreover, I have successfully completed my tasks for the week, which included doing image research, color correcting images and pages, and most importantly editing the writing in the brand guide and history of the restaurant. Below I have attached a presentation with my completed work so far, also listing side notes with tasks I still have yet to complete: Link.

Kommentare

  1. great quote! I almost went with that one too

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. I 100% agree with your statement about how branding tends to try to depict itself as authentic but most of the time that is just another strategy to attract people to the object. I also love how your project is coming along! My favorite is the break down of the color palette.

    AntwortenLöschen

Kommentar veröffentlichen